I got three Private Message comments today with no email address from I assume the same person.
“My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In”
Very hot story, I really enjoyed it.
You couldn’t choose a better author than SilkStockingLover as a role model. Note that she has several Editors.
Good Editors do a lot more than check spelling.
I won’t leave my name because I do Editing for some authors.
Cruise Doubledate is a good story but if I had written it, I think I would have condensed it some, but then I didn’t write it.
Since Thomas, Rebecca, Caitlin and Lisa are going to be in the same city, and Rebecca still needs some lessons, you might consider them all getting together and buying a big house like 4 or 5 bedrooms, with bathrooms off each bedroom.
There are still some errors that got missed, most are small, but not all of them.
My Sister Set Me Up On A Blind Date
Your Editors need some more training. There are a lot of errors in this story but I’m only going to point out the ones on last page. There are Two.
“appreciated” and “last”. The first one on the second line and the last one at approximately the 23 line.
The only way to edit work is from the doc or docx file.
I’m glad he/she enjoyed the stories. I think person is trying to be helpful, but he/she comes across as condescending instead.
Some specific rebuttals:
* As my editor is a volunteer, I’m thrilled with what he’s willing to do for free
* To me, if you’re not going to volunteer to edit, then shut up about me getting multiple editors
* As the person capitalizes words at random and badly wrote the last message, I doubt I’d enjoy working with him/her as an editor
* Saying “if I had written it, I think I would have condensed it some, but then I didn’t write it” is basically a sneer. How would you have condensed it? It’s a very complicated story and a lot of what happens in the story is for setting up something later. I don’t think it would be as easy to condense as the person thinks. Without a specific suggestion for condensing, I’ll never know
* The person demonstrates major reading comprehension issues by saying “Since Thomas, Rebecca, Caitlin and Lisa are going to be in the same city.” A major part of “Cruise Doubledate” is that Thomas wants to continue the relationship with his sister Caitlin after the cruise is over, but she repeatedly points out that it won’t work. And the biggest reason it won’t work is that she lives in Wachita (as does Lisa) and he lives in Boston
* The person said “Good Editors do a lot more than check spelling,” which is true. A good editor should know that four adults who’ve been working for only a short time “buying a big house like 4 or 5 bedrooms, with bathrooms off each bedroom” in an expensive housing market like Boston’s is a ridiculous idea
* “The only way to edit work is from the doc or docx file” – then the person couldn’t edit for me as there is no doc or docx file for the story. I use Scrivener to write my stuff, I embed HTML code for formatting and I do a big song-and-dance to generate a RTF file for my editor